Print Header

NZDF on Standby to Help Storm-Hit Areas

The New Zealand Defence Force has placed personnel and trucks on standby to help the Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management deal with the aftermath of a severe storm that is forecast to affect central New Zealand late on Tuesday. (file photo)
The New Zealand Defence Force has placed personnel and trucks on standby to help the Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management deal with the aftermath of a severe storm that is forecast to affect central New Zealand late on Tuesday. (file photo)

20 February 2018

The New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) has placed personnel and trucks on standby to help the Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management deal with the aftermath of a severe storm that is forecast to affect central New Zealand late on Tuesday.

Major General Tim Gall, the Commander Joint Forces New Zealand, said NZDF personnel had been assigned to work with all regional emergency operations centres in areas forecast to be affected by ex-Tropical Cyclone Gita.

In addition, three Unimog trucks, two four-wheel-drive vehicles and eight drivers have been placed on standby in Nelson.

“We stand ready to help and have personnel and trucks that can be mobilised as quickly as possible. The next 24 hours is critical and we are ready to provide timely and effective support if required,” Major General Gall said.

Return to the Media Release Summary